Devon AreaResourcing and encouraging your church's music for worship
RSCM Devon is a thriving part of the work of the Royal School of Church Music, an ecumenical body which is committed to achieving the best use of good music in worship – whatever the resources, whatever the styles.
We seek to serve churches of every denomination and musical tradition and to organise training sessions and special services and events which will give church musicians the skills and resources they need to lift and inspire the worship of their churches through the gift of music.
Members of affiliated choirs and music groups, individual members and Friends to receive these benefits:
- Regular information about Area and regional events by email, in addition to publicity in ‘The Network’ national handbook published quarterly.
- Quarterly issues of the informative national CMQ magazine
- Discounts at RSCM Devon events, and when purchasing music from the RSCM Shop
- The support of local and national advisers who make visits and lend their expertise where required. Music leaders, organists and choir directors can call on advice and support, as can clergy and church leaders when problems arise.
- Knowing that you are part of a national and regional body which seeks to improve the quality and effectiveness of church music at every level.
Click here to join our mailing list and download current and past e-Newsletters
The Area Committee and I hope that you have stayed virus-free in these worrying times. With the continued health and safety of RSCM Devon members and friends in mind, we have reluctantly decided that we cannot run the Area Festival this year. With luck (and possibly with the assistance of a vaccine) we hope to run next year’s Festival ad usual.We are still hoping that we might be able to run some sort of Advent Carol Service at Buckfast, but we’re waiting on developments nationally, locally and of course on the position at the Abbey itself. I will let you know the position as soon as it is clear.Nicholas BrownArea Chairman
With restrictions on group activities and the use of churches in place, there have been fewer than usual RSCM Devon activities this year.
However, in the hope that restrictions may be eased by the Autumn, we are still planning to hold our Annual Festival at Exeter Cathedral on Saturday 24th October, but to run the event as a “Come & Sing Evensong,” as participating choirs will not have had the time to prepare in the usual way. We also plan to hold the Advent Carol Service at Buckfast on Saturday 28th November.
Meanwhile, RSCM Centre has provided on their website some resources to help with worship in these difficult times.
We have redesigned the RSCM Devon Area website with a fresh new look but keeping its layout and navigation simple.
If you use an electronic calendar on your computer, phone or tablet you can subscribe to RSCM Devon Calendar in your own calendar. Not only will you have the events listed, but you will also receive updates and new events as they are added to the website calendar. The link for the RSCM Devon is https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/rscmdevon%40gmail.com/public/basic.ics
Click here for details of how to set this up on popular devices.